Small Group Discussion Guide
-The Silence of God-
What do you think is the #1 objection that non-Christians have about the Christian faith?
1. How would you respond to this question: ‘If believing in God is such a big deal to Him, why doesn’t God make Himself more obvious?’
2. Read James 2:19 and Jeremiah 29:13. It’s been said: ‘God’s goal for the human race is not just to get people to admit that He exists.’ Do you agree with this statement? If so, why?
3. Read Luke 16:19-31. Jesus says miracles will not convince unbelievers. Why does Jesus say this? What does Jesus say is more convincing than experiencing a miracle?
4. Read Psalm 51:5; Jeremiah 17:9 and Galatians 5:17. How would you respond to this question: ‘If Christianity is true, why aren’t Christians better advertisements?’
5. How would you respond to this question: ‘If there is really an all-loving, all-powerful, all- good God overseeing the Universe, why is there so much evil and suffering in the world?’
6. Read Romans 3:10-18. What does this verse tell us about the origin of evil and suffering in the world?
7. How would you respond to the following statement by atheist, Bertrand Russell...?
‘You are the product of causes that have no purpose or meaning. Your origin, your growth, your hopes, fears, loves, beliefs are the outcome of accidental collections of atoms. No fire, heroism, or intensity of thought or feeling can preserve your life from beyond the grave. All the devotion, all the inspiration, all the labor of all the ages are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system. The whole temple of human achievement must inevitably be buried in the debris of a universe in ruins. That’s what we’re all headed for.’